Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Select Records Tool Based on Value of a Cell

kylemhabe
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to update the range on a Select Records tool based on the value of a cell? For example if a cell has a value of 312, can I somehow update the Select Records to 

Basically I have a .xlsx file and the data that I need starts in a different row every time depending on how the user updates the file. The data that I need starts after the row that contains a cell value of "total sales." I need the next 51 rows after this row.

What I've done is add a record id to each row and used a filter tool to find the keyword that indicated where the data that I need starts("total sales"). Through this filter I can see what the number row that my data starts. Can I use the value from the record id to update a select record tool to select the next 51 rows of my data after "total sales"?

My guess is that I need to use action tool. 

I want to do this because I am trying to create an analytic app that allows the user to input these excel files and get an output of the necessary data to create a visual. This is my first time attempting to make an analytic app.

Best,

Kyle

1 REPLY 1
Claje
14 - Magnetar

The Select Records tool doesn't have this functionality natively, but you could build a macro around it that let you update the text box based on an incoming field.

The select records tool itself is also an Alteryx macro, so you could potentially write your own version to do what you're looking for.

Labels