Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Running Total with Unknown Fields

Hi All,

I'm creating a report that pulls data from an API on a monthly basis to auto-generate a report. The data gets grouped into Cohorts of subscribers to a product on a monthly basis.

I rely a lot on the running total function to achieve the calcs that are required and a new cohort should be added each month. That said, there is no "Unknown" field that I can tick in the running total function to capture these newly generated cohorts each month. Any work arounds for this? Is there some aspect of the functionality I might be missing? Do I need to make some kind of macro?

Thanks in advance and let me know if I can add further detail. 

Win

3 REPLIES 3

I've attached a snip of what i want to have auto-selected each month. Thanks

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @winradcliffe-trenner,

2 things -

1. Unless I've missunderstood something I don't quite know what the running total tool in your screenshot would be doing given that you've got everything turned on in the "group by" section. Presumably you just meant to group by cancellation date?

2. I would transpose the data first. The transpose tool can handle unknown columns. You can then apply your running total and cross-tab back to the orginal format.

Something like this -

input -

Ben_H_1-1660030982524.png

workflow -

Ben_H_2-1660031057084.png

output -

Ben_H_3-1660031067883.png

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for getting back to me. Apologies for the confusion re: your point 1--I subsequently disabled those groupings.

This solution worked well for my application--really appreciate it!

Win

Labels