Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Python code using Action Tool

ghwallis
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone, I just recently started using the Python Tool in Designer and wanting to update an authentication "Key" whenever the user opens the workflow which would be run as a Analytic app. I have highlighted the section of code I want to change every time. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Python1.jpg

Python2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ghwallis 

I suggest you to update a text input tool, and import this cell inside of the python tool. Its a better option, because you can isolate exactly the field that you want to update without any more complications. I use this method a lot and it works fine.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668428216109.png

Felipe_Ribeir0_2-1668428274494.png

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1668428257776.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Alternatively, you could use the Alteryx Python SDK to build this into a tool and pass the value via the tool UI config: https://help.alteryx.com/developer-help/ayx-python-sdk-v2 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

o.k. so it looks like it sometimes works if you have two action tools (one for Notebook and one for specialCellMetadata). R definitely works. The easiest way to do this is updating a text input tool and then bringing that into Python.

ghwallis
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you all for the comments. I got it working with Mr. Felipe's recommendation. 

Labels