Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Filter Value with Aciton and Text Box

dholsey
5 - Atom

I am unsure where my workflow is going wrong. I have a workflow with a basic filter. I wan to update that filter criteria based on a text input. Each time I try running it, however, I get no output. My configs are attached. 

image.png

image.png

image.pngimage.png

8 REPLIES 8
Inactive User
Not applicable

Make sure operand value is selected in the action, which it appears to be. This may be a silly question but you have no output hence why you are not getting any outputs. You need either a temporary render or a file output to see the result set at the end of the app. 

Also - make sure your filter value matches the value within your data stream; if it does not then the filter argument will be false.

dholsey
5 - Atom

Thanks for the help. I thought this would work with just a browse output but attaching a true output allowed the workflow to run with outputs. 

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can make an Analytic App display the output from a Browse tool you just need to tick it within the Interface Designer:

2017-10-25_07-45-14.jpg

One other option to the action tool is to connect the output of the Textbox directly to the filter tool:

2017-10-25_07-46-32.jpg

You have to then use a Custom Filter but it removes the need of an Action tool.

mihir306
5 - Atom

I am facing a similar situation but in filter I am passing the IF else condition and final output is only taking the else condition or the basic filter value which for me is Year = 2018. I want to use a conditional function and based on text input for any year I should get that particular year's result. Any help would be appreciated.

mihir306
5 - Atom

Nevermind I figured out the solution to it. I was using If Else in Filter and was expecting values of Years to be filtered accordingly. Instead, I now used Years now in a List and used Replace for each values and it worked.

bb213
8 - Asteroid

Is there any way this could be updated to take in multiple values?  Say the user wanted to enter 3, 4, or 5 different values in the text box at the same time.  How would this workflow need to be updated? 

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Yes its possible but id go a different way wit this then.

Lets say your user inputs the list as comma seperated within the text box interface tool.

I would use this to overwrite a placeholder in a text input.

You can then use the ‘text to columns’ to split the list to rows on the comma.

Finally you can do a join against this list which basically performs your filter.

Ben
Fz
8 - Asteroid

Hey,

Please, I have same problem. I wan to update that filter criteria based on a string input . I try running it, however, I get no output. 

I attache a screenshot of the open debug windows and woorkflow

Thank you !!!!!!

Capture.PNGCaptur.PNG

Labels