Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Credentials in Gallery

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Experts -

I recently found this post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Database-Connections-Creating-an-al... which has solved the issue of updating passwords in every data connection in every workflow when the pw changes, via updating connection aliases.  

However, I am still stuck on updating the credentials in every workflow in the Gallery when the pw changes.  Is there a similar sort of "alias" workaround that can be used to solve this problem?  

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

The last comment in that Knowledge Base articles mentions

if you are using a gallery and trying to utilize the Gallery Connections, it's a bit different. Your Gallery Admin would need to set those up and then give you access to them.

Sounds like @Treyson has some experience there.

Wonder if @TonyM can add to the Knowledge Base article...

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Sorry for the miscommunication.  The Gallery-level data Connections are one thing, I am talking about the credentials used to run a workflow via schedule (should have mentioned that before). 

So let's say I have 50 workflows scheduled in the Gallery and my pw changes every 2 months.  Currently I need to go into every schedule and manually update the password.  That's 300 updates per year.....not catastrophic, but the time could definitely be better utilized.

Is there a better way to do this?

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

So you're talking about updating *database* passwords within each workflow?

I'm guessing you've seen these posts:

wrap your module in a macro: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Update-the-user-name-and-password-freq...

Running with a service account: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Running-Alteryx-Flow-with-a-service-ac...

Dynamic Connection String: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Dynamic-Connection-String/m-p/80820

We're just starting to work with the server, so we haven't run into common issues like this.  Maybe consider a PM to @Treyson or a tweet @TreysonMarks ?

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Nope.  Gallery -> Schedules -> Edit Schedule -> Edit Credentials -> Schedule As (Username & Password)

Whenever my Windows password changes I need to go into every schedule and change the password there.  Is there a way to streamline this?

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

With the software we used prior to Alteryx, we used a generic service account with a non-changing password.  The AD account was set up to not allow local login, so that made it easier to get our IT dept. to approve the generic id.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar
Hey @Bonediggler!

I have always made it a priority to create a service account and schedule/run all jobs through that account. That way there are no passwords to manage. If your password lives in the connection sting you should be able to update the connection string on the galley connections (formerly called aliases) and that will pass to the scheduled jobs. There are also some problems I have been having recently in this area. I would love to chat with you about this. If you want to DM me some contact info and hours you are free I think maybe we are just getting mixed up on our semantics.
Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
Bonediggler
9 - Comet

I think that's the answer I was looking for.  Unfortunately I am not the one with rights to create a service account so I will pass this along to the server admins.  I'll definitely be in touch if we are still stuck.

Thanks!

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Okay perfect! Also thank you @ChrisTX  for the shout out!

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
michael_anthony
6 - Meteoroid

I am having an issue with gallery connections. The password recently changed for an account we connect to via a gallery connection. We overwrote the password in the gallery connection's connection string and saved it with the updated credentials, but my workflows will not run on the gallery anymore. To fix this, I have found that I have to go into each workflow, reconnect to the same gallery connection, and re-save it, at which point it will run.

This defeats the purpose of the galley connections which should allow me to update passwords in all workflows using the given gallery connection without opening each one. 

Please advise

Labels