Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unstacking multiple formula tools

MarkMcCullagh
7 - Meteor

I created a workflow with multiple formula tools working on the same field. Another user modified and improved the workflow and did what Ican only describe as stacking the formula tools on top of each other. I was unfamiliar that you could do this and am uncertain as to how you unstack them. Can anyone guide me in what is probably a very basic question. 

MarkMcCullagh_0-1597398546641.png

Thanks in advance

mark

6 REPLIES 6
Per
11 - Bolide

If I understand correctly you had the same formulas before, but just in different formula tools rather than 1? There is then no easy way to 'unstack' them. You will need to copy each formula into their own formula tool again I believe.

However, I am curious as to why you want to do it, as it takes quite a bit of space in the workflow, rather than keeping it a bit cleaner as it is now?

MarkMcCullagh
7 - Meteor

For explanation purposes to someone unfamiliar with Alteryx. How do you copy them? Is it copy paste the formula text? Incidentally how do you stack them to begin with?

Per
11 - Bolide

Yes, start by expanding one of the formulas you want to move

Per_0-1597404345380.png

Then copy the formula text

Per_2-1597404407764.png

Add a new formula tool after the first one

Per_3-1597404449776.png

Paste the formula into it and remember to select the field name

Per_5-1597404526288.png

Adn then delete the formula in the first tool

Per_4-1597404502629.png

Then you should end with a workflow looking like this

Per_6-1597404578455.png

When you want to stack formulas, you add a new one by pressing the + button

Per_7-1597404639817.png

Hope it makes sense, otherwise shout out 🙂

MarkMcCullagh
7 - Meteor

Thank you Per for a good explanation.

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @MarkMcCullagh ,

In case you are having even more formulas and you are a very technical person - you can think about opening the Alteryx workflow with a normal editor (as it is only an XML file) and adjust the formula tools via adjusting the xml code:

screenshot.PNG

screenshot2.PNG

Best regards

Phil 

MarkMcCullagh
7 - Meteor

Thanks @PhilippK 

Labels