Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unknown/Dynamic field behaviour with other unselected and selected columns

Avik1993
5 - Atom

I understand the functioning of 'Unknown/Dynamic fields' feature in Select/Group/Join, etc operators.

But what happens in following scenarios:-

Total dataset has 4 columns A,B,C,D

-> I have checked 'unknown/dynamic fields' option, along with that I have UNCHECKED A and C (With renamed as old_A and old_C) and CHECKED B and D (With renamed as old_B, old_D)

Now i have few new columns coming in. These will be automatically selected (Because of unknown fields functionality). But will A and C be selected along or not?

I am confused whether unchecked fields will be selected or not when unknown fields option is checked!!

Please help me figure this out.!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
ivoller
12 - Quasar

If I understand your question correctly, A and B will NOT be selected (the rename has no effect for the originally unselected fields)

You can see this by setting up a flow that just consists of an input (e.g. Excel), a select set up as you described and a browse. If you set up the input to use a sheet with just the 4 fields, the output will be fields B and D. If you reset the input to a sheet with additional fields (E and F) the output will be B, D, E, and F

Avik1993
5 - Atom

No. Actually I have A and C are unchecked & B and D are checked along dynamic fields option checked,

So B and D will be present in output that i know. But what I am confused about is whether A and C will be present in output or not?

Storm
9 - Comet

The answer varies SOMEWHAT by tool - but see my final sentence.

For example, the select tool will not output A and C in your example, because you told it "fields named A and C shouldn't pass".

The multi-field tool is a longer story. A and C will not get TREATED by the formula, because you told it "fields A and C shouldn't get treated by this formula". So - New_A and New_C will NOT be in the output; but if A and C were in the input to the multi-field tool, A and C WILL come out; because this tool is ONLY saying "apply this formula to these fields" and you are excluding A and C from those fields.

I think the general answer you're looking for to your question is no - A and C, if present and unchecked, won't get treated along with other fields in the various tools that use dynamic / unknown inputs.

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Sorry - typo in my answer. Should have read that A and C will NOT get output

Labels