Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unknown/Dynamic field behaviour with other unselected and selected columns

Avik1993
5 - Atom

I understand the functioning of 'Unknown/Dynamic fields' feature in Select/Group/Join, etc operators.

But what happens in following scenarios:-

Total dataset has 4 columns A,B,C,D

-> I have checked 'unknown/dynamic fields' option, along with that I have UNCHECKED A and C (With renamed as old_A and old_C) and CHECKED B and D (With renamed as old_B, old_D)

Now i have few new columns coming in. These will be automatically selected (Because of unknown fields functionality). But will A and C be selected along or not?

I am confused whether unchecked fields will be selected or not when unknown fields option is checked!!

Please help me figure this out.!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
ivoller
12 - Quasar

If I understand your question correctly, A and B will NOT be selected (the rename has no effect for the originally unselected fields)

You can see this by setting up a flow that just consists of an input (e.g. Excel), a select set up as you described and a browse. If you set up the input to use a sheet with just the 4 fields, the output will be fields B and D. If you reset the input to a sheet with additional fields (E and F) the output will be B, D, E, and F

Avik1993
5 - Atom

No. Actually I have A and C are unchecked & B and D are checked along dynamic fields option checked,

So B and D will be present in output that i know. But what I am confused about is whether A and C will be present in output or not?

Storm
9 - Comet

The answer varies SOMEWHAT by tool - but see my final sentence.

For example, the select tool will not output A and C in your example, because you told it "fields named A and C shouldn't pass".

The multi-field tool is a longer story. A and C will not get TREATED by the formula, because you told it "fields A and C shouldn't get treated by this formula". So - New_A and New_C will NOT be in the output; but if A and C were in the input to the multi-field tool, A and C WILL come out; because this tool is ONLY saying "apply this formula to these fields" and you are excluding A and C from those fields.

I think the general answer you're looking for to your question is no - A and C, if present and unchecked, won't get treated along with other fields in the various tools that use dynamic / unknown inputs.

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Sorry - typo in my answer. Should have read that A and C will NOT get output

Labels