Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Union tool creating blank rows when merging datasets

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Hello all, I'm using the union tool to bring together many tools, for some reason tho when I do this, it's creating many blank rows, I need the bottom 5 rows to be moved up and be in the same rows as the top 5 rows/ 3 columns. 

As background, I'm using the summarize tool which is generating the bottom 5 rows (which I want moved up). Any ideas?

dberroth_1-1600786069554.png

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dberroth,

Try using join by record position instead.

Emil_Kos_0-1600786292524.png

Let me know if it worked for you. 

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dberroth 

When you are using the Summarize to create the bottom 5 rows, does it contain a unique ID which could be used to join the data to the top 5 rows/3 columns.

It may be the case that using either a Join or Append, may be more applicable to combine your 2 data streams together.

Kind Regards,

Will

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Hi @dberroth,

Try using the 'Manually Configure Fields' option in the Union tool to align your fields:

922.1.PNG 

Goppi
7 - Meteor

assuming that the values in Totals correspond to the values in Group Risk Report, you should rather use a join on thise two fields. This will give you then exactly what you asked for.

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Thanks all for the comments, I should have been more clear, I have 5 strings coming in with totals merging into the original input. I think I finally was able to get it by merging the 5 strings together using a union, then using the join tool with the union output and the original source file. Thank you all again for your comments.

Labels