Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Union Tool - The Input "#2" was not initialized.

mschmeiser
7 - Meteor

I have two data streams which need to be unioned together. One of the data streams often contains no data which is causing the union tool to encounter an error, input was not initialized. I have read through other discussions and have tried adding a text input, another .xlsx file with a single blank line, adding a block until done, etc. Nothing seems to resolve the error. 

mschmeiser_0-1663868558615.png

16 REPLIES 16
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @mschmeiser 

You are using the filter to separate the filepaths, open each file with one dynamic input and union them, right?

The files have the same schema (column names and data type)? If yes, you need just one dynamic input and you can pass both filepaths to the same dynamic input.

If this is not the case, why you need to separate the filepaths?

mschmeiser
7 - Meteor

The dynamic inputs are database connections to two different servers. Can a single dynamic input handle two different connections?

mschmeiser
7 - Meteor

mschmeiser_0-1663869615541.png

I use the filter tool to determine which server to connect to.

mschmeiser_1-1663869625713.png

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Ok, i was thinking about excel files, sorry.

My only try would be to include an text input with null data and union it with the second dynamic input before the main union, or to include a select tool after the second dynamic input (to generate metadata). 

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

If you already tried it, lets wait for other users to reply here. 

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

got the same issue with a union tool as well. first time I deleted the union tool replaced it and it ran oke (forgot to save) day after same issue but couldn't update the union tool without getting the same error on an other union tool in the same workflow.

after this I used a production workflow where this error wasn't happening. strange part is it was the same workflow only saved on a different location.

so a tip in sort of fixing this issue could be try and use a back-up or acceptance,development or production (where the error isn't there) and copy the workflow over it (via fileserver)

I've got a similar post. i might help you out @mschmeiser 

POST: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/The-input-quot-1-quot-was-not-initiali...

@TonyaS 

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks for tagging me.

What version are you using @mschmeiser ?

I'm curious whether this is the same with and without AMP Engine. 

If you have a yxzp you could send me I could try it on one of our recent Dev builds as well as 22.1 to see if it is still an issue. 

Thanks!

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I was actually just able to reproduce this on a Dev build. I will create a defect and link both of these recent posts so we can come back and update with the version that will contain a fix. 

Tonya Smith
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

This will be fixed with the 2023.1 Release. 

Tonya Smith
Labels