Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Union Tool Issues

MAJ_Altxx
5 - Atom

I am new to alteryx and am having issues with the union tool, it is entirely disregarding one of my datasets despite having common headings and common data under those headings, can anyone help - I have attached the query as well as a more detailed description of what I am trying to do.

FULL DESCRIPTION.

I am dealing with timesheet forecasts however the data is only giving me time that has been allocated. I initially am trying to generate rows for weeks that have no information in them, so am adding in 'missing weeks' for any employees that are effectively forecast zero hours. I am then going on to generate new rows for any data that has not been assigned, so if an employee is not forecast to be working full time, I am generating an unassigned row that makes up the difference between forecast hours and working at full capacity.

My issue is coming at the end when I tried to rejoin my data. The unassigned rows (lower workflow) are being completely disregarded).

Dataset attached.

7 REPLIES 7
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you please upload a copy of your data? The .yxmd is just the workflow settings, it doesn't actually contain the data file.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MAJ_Altxx,

I don't think that will be the issue but please rerun the workflow after you will deselect output order option:

Emil_Kos_0-1602510534376.png

MAJ_Altxx
5 - Atom

Attached. Let me know if this works - this is my first upload to the forum.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MAJ_Altxx 

If you are referring to this union tool:

Emil_Kos_0-1602511120599.png

I don't see any positions lost on the way. 

MAJ_Altxx
5 - Atom

Hi @Emil_Kos

#1 input coming from the join. I was anticipating that all the unassigned hours would union. However in the output of the union there is 0 hours against any employee associated with unassigned (UNA/SSS-00)

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Looking at your record counts, the records from the bottom workflow (unassigned) are being correctly added to your other records. Prior to your last Union, you have 6848 records. The bottom workflow should add 795 records. Your last union shows 7643 records, which is correct.

You are only viewing a subset of the records due to memory limitations, which is why it may look like the records were not added when looking at the Results window. See below - I am only looking at 6284 records out of my entire dataset. To view all of my records and see the 795 that were added, I can use a Browse tool. Filtering through, I do see 795 records with "UNA/SSS-00."

echuong1_0-1602511575211.png

echuong1_1-1602511671643.png

MAJ_Altxx
5 - Atom

Rookie error from me I think. I was relying on the output data section search bar!

Thanks a bunch!

Labels