Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unexpected syntax error in simple Formula tools

Paul_s_Moody
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm getting a syntax error that is driving me crazy!

I'm assuming I've done something silly, but can't see what...

Using A Formula Tool, I've created a Boolean column called [Manual Cat] and populated using the code:

Paul_s_Moody_1-1674828757543.png

All seems happy as the colours change...

A little later in the workflow, however, I'm trying to use the column to add a new column and adjust the value of an existing column.

I'm using the Paul_s_Moody_2-1674828919651.pngbutton to get the existing columns where appropriate and the formula appear as:

Paul_s_Moody_3-1674828980630.png

The equals signs are generating the errors:

Formula (234) Parse Error at char(17): Invalid type in operator ==. (Expression #1)

Formula (234) Parse Error at char(17): Invalid type in operator ==. (Expression #2)

and the the "True" and existing columns aren't being recognised so stay in the black font.

What have I done wrong??

I have tried saving the workflow (and then turning Aleryx on and off again...) but no difference.

I can't share the workflow as it is using sensitive data and has more than 220 Tools within it (and counting).

Thanks in advance...

4 REPLIES 4
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Paul_s_Moody 

Can you please check the column [Manual Cat] is Boolean.

If it is Boolean datatype, then "True" will  not work.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Paul_s_Moody 

Change it from "True" to 1, as you're defining [Manual Cat] as a boolean which is either 1 or 0

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Paul_s_Moody 

As expected, the datatype stored as Boolean.

Please use 1 and 0 for True and False respectively.

ShankerV_0-1674829500906.png

Paul_s_Moody
8 - Asteroid

Thank you both!

I'm glad it was something simple. As a beginner, I thought that "True" and 1 were interchangeable - especially as I'd populated the column using "True" and "False".

Labels