community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Unequal distribution

I have a set of 72 unique codes assigned to 61,991 records. I would like to group the 61,991 records into 3 groups of 15,000, 15,000 and 31,991 with the 72codes distributed amongst the 3 groups in even proportion

Can this be done with alteryx?

Thank you

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @jjohnson1 

Yes, it's possible. I just didn't get the unique code distribution part. So you want 24 unique codes per group? (since there's supposed to be 3 of them)

Could you please post a sample of your data? So we can find the best way to do it

Cheers,

Thanks for trying to help with this. This is a sample of the data set. In this case I have 124 ID records which I need grouped into group A with 31records, group B - 31 records and group C with 62 records. However, I need all the codes evenly represented amongst all 3 groups

@jjohnson1 

So you're meaning, for example, if there's a code that has a count of 8, it should be split to 2 for the first, 2 for the second, and 4 to the third, right?

But what about those codes that have a count of 2? How should they be distributed?

Cheers,

Yes..something like that.
The 2 outstanding codes can be distributed sequentially

I am looking to put this process into a macro where i can run it to distribute codes among any number of groups
Nebula
Nebula

hi @jjohnson1 

How precisely do the buckets have to be sized?  Both of your examples have buckets of approximately 25%, 25% and 50%.  Is anything approaching this good enough or do the the buckets have to contain exactly  15,000, 15,000 and 31,991 items?

Dan

Thank you Dan

They have to exactly match 15,000,15,000 and 31,991

Labels