Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Understanding macros

Peter4
8 - Asteroid

I'm having a hard time understanding Alteryx macros. I have read most of the documentation yet I don't seem to be able to build a functioning standard macro and frankly the tools are a mess.

I have a very, very simple macro workflow with a formula tool that times a field by 2. I'd like to input that into any other workflow and select the columns I want to multiply. Yet for some reason I have two input anchors and an interface that wants to group my data.

Any help would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Peter4,

there were two input anchos because it wasn't a standard macro, it was selected to be a Batch-Macro.

grossal_0-1586538719090.png

Second:

You can remove your Interface-Tools to achieve this behaviour:

grossal_1-1586538749660.png

You can than click on the Macro-Input and select "Show Field Map".

grossal_2-1586538866480.png

This will enable a dialog in the configuration of the macro when you use it:

grossal_3-1586538900287.png

You can easily pick the column here and get the result you want!

Example Input: (I picked Field1 to be doubled) 

grossal_4-1586538974776.png

Example Output:

grossal_5-1586538986077.png

Fixed Macro attached. Let me know if I got it right.

Best

Alex

PS: Cool Macro-Icon!

Peter4
8 - Asteroid

Great thanks! I think it switched to a batch macro because I dragged the control parameter tool onto the canvas. How can I keep the name of my original field without replacing it with "example" in this case?

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

You could achieve this using an Action Tool in combination with a Select Tool:

grossal_0-1586540022014.png

The default setting "Update Select with Reverse Field Map (Default)" does the job. This will rename the column to the original name.

grossal_1-1586540049585.png

The output now looks like this:

grossal_2-1586540094472.png

I'll attach the adapted version.

Best

Alex

Peter4
8 - Asteroid

Perfect, thank you!

Peter4
8 - Asteroid

What if I wanted to update the number in my macro? Do I select update value or update formula?

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I do it this way:

I changed the formula back so they would work even in the test run in the macro itself.

grossal_0-1586542330281.png

You can use the "Update Value (Default)" and the Option "Replace a specific string". Remove everything from the String besides the thing you want to be replaced - in this case 125. The Tool will now swap 125 and the number you picked in your Numeric Up Down Picker..

grossal_1-1586542355772.png

Updated Macro attached.

Best

Alex

Peter4
8 - Asteroid

Thank you. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

What does 'Update Value with formula' do? Or how could I practise usnig that?

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

To be honest, I have never used the 'Update Value with formula'. Usually you just want to replace a specific part of something and can do this with the 'Replace specific String' Option.

I could see use cases if you would like to use something like a Regex-Replace or Regex-Match, but to be honest again, I would do this different and not do it with the 'Update Value with formula' option.

Labels