Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Understanding functionality of File Browse Tool

samc725
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I recently submitted a related question, App where user chooses Excel file and data is parsed to filter WHERE clause of SQL .  I've figured out how to take data from an Excel file and input into the SQL statement, so I'm left with trying to understand how the File Browse tool works, particularly when you choose the 'Update Input Data Tool' action.

My question is related to the following workflow.  Let's say I have a simple workflow where the Input Data is an Excel File with multiple columns, and I want to view one column, 'CUSIPS', in the browse tool(of course, generally, I'd be doing more than looking at the data using the browse tool, but this is just a simplified example).  I can easily do that with a workflow like this :

samc725_0-1614279167372.png

Now, Instead of supplying the 'Test_CUSIP_File.xlsx', I want the end-user to be able to browse for an Excel file they've created, which also has a 'CUSIP' column.  I assumed this would be done by choosing the 'File Browse' tool and using the 'Update Input Data Tool Action', like this:

samc725_1-1614279580502.png

However, if I try to run this as an Analytic App, I'm able to browse for a new file which contains  a 'CUSIP' column, choose that file, click 'Finish' and I simply get a new message after the process completes:

samc725_2-1614279907080.png

I'm expecting to able to see the new data I uploaded in the browse tool.  Can anyone assist in where I'm going wrong?

Thank you,
Sam

3 REPLIES 3
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @samc725 ,

to do this, you need to specify the output in the Interface Designer.

CLick "View" at the top, then "Interface Designer" then click the cog icon:

Make sure you've checked both "On Success - Show Results to User" and the Browse tool you wish to render:

mceleavey_0-1614280478716.png

This will then render the output tool.

M.

ps - When you're finished, click "View" and uncheck "Interface Designer"

Bulien

samc725
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks very much, @mceleavey.  I'm able to see the output now.  Thanks!

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

no problem.gif

Bulien

Labels