Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Understanding Publish to Tableau Server - BEFORE Publishing

willcogs26
6 - Meteoroid

Hello! 

I have a bit of a unique question, but I am looking to create a HUGE data set and publish it to our Tableau Server. There is no chance of reducing the data size, but what I would like to do is understand the impact the data source will have on our storage on server. For example, if the data source is going to be 2535 MB, is there anyway to know that BEFORE publishing? would the data size be similar to any file type? Just want to prepare our server team that a large data set is incoming. 

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Hmmm ... I'd be worried if a 2.5GB file is going to cause problems on the server, there should be a LOT of free disk space and the IT guys manage that.

To test BEFORE publishing ? You could write the output to a local hyper file (ie use up your disk space rather than the server), but there's more things happen on the server anyway so it's not going to be exactly the same.

How many rows & columns are you talking about ?  I deal with "large" extracts (anything up to 120 million rows), no big deal on the Server at all.  I don't know how big the extract really is (on disk), the IT guys make sure that there is adequate disk space 🙂 

Labels