Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unable to zoom in on map

lobal
7 - Meteor

I have a map with a shapefile and point layer mapped and I can only get it to display at the default zoom level of the base map - i.e. United States "carto(Positron) - Most recent vintage". Under the data tab of the map tool, my shape layer specifies Spatial Field as SpatialObj. For my point layer I have specified Spatial Field as "Centroid".  Using the zoom tools under the browse tools only seems to zoom base map and the report itself will default back to displaying at total United States map level. I am trying to create views of the map focused on smaller state levels. I can't seem to find instructions for this. 

4 REPLIES 4
TrevorY
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi - in order to specify the extent of the report map and have that level of customization over your zoom level, you will need to go into the Layers tab of your Report Map tool and specify a data layer to zoom into by clicking the checkbox "zoom to layer". That will then define the extent of the map for your output. In the example workflow attached, I've created my own rectangle spatial object that I have integrated into the Report Map tool to define the extent of my map (this layer is not shown visibly on the map but is used to define the extent of the map). 

I hope this solves your issue! 

TrevorY
Alteryx
Alteryx

Also here is a screenshot of that "zoom to layer" option. Check this only for the layer you'd like to base the map extent on. 

lobal
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the create zoom polygon tip, that helped.  It gave me a zoom on the US, but not the particular state that I created the polygon for  - i.e. doesn't zoom to polygon.The polygon doesn't actually seem to control the zoom.  The new polygon does not show up as a choice in the Layers tab in the Report Map, yet I do have it hooked in as an input.  I did check to zoom to layer box  for my weather layer early on in troubleshooting. I could have done this in a few minutes in ArcGIS. I am still new to this product. 

TrevorY
Alteryx
Alteryx

Did you add the polygon layer within the layers tab? You do that by clicking the "+" and adding the polygon layer there. Since you do not want it to actually appear on the map you will make the color and borders transparent. In order to really zoom to that layer you will need to make sure it's the only layer with the zoom to layer check box checked. 

Labels