Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Unable to select a target variable in linear regression

PaoloP
5 - Atom

I am trying to run a linear regression. I dropped the data in the canvas and I can see the data loaded successfully but when I try to run a regression the dropdown menu for target variable is blank. what am I doing wrong? 

PaoloP_0-1604540273936.png

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @PaoloP 

Would you please check the data type of your target variable?

You can drop a select tool between your input and the linear regression to change the type to numeric if need be.

Cheers!

PaoloP
5 - Atom

Yes it is numeric. I dropped the select tool and it says the "Type" of each variable is "V_String"

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @PaoloP 

Can you share a sample data about 10 rows would do. Just to build the workflow

Hey @PaoloP 

If your target is continuous, I would change it to double. Please try this out and see if it will solve the problem.

PaoloP
5 - Atom

See attached. Thanks for the help

damc
11 - Bolide

Hello @PaoloP 

Alteryx imports all variables coming from a csv file as strings by default, but the Linear Regression tool only accepts numerical values as a target variable.

As mentioned by @christine_assaad ,you can use a Select tool  before the Regression tool and manually change each variable type or you could try an Auto Field tool (example workflow attached), which does the job automatically, then you´ll be able to choose the target:

autofield_tool.JPG

Hope it helps

Regards

Labels