Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unable to run macro

betty_liao
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to set a schedule in my gallery to run my workflow. When I try to run my workflow in the server, it says "Macros stored in the Gallery cannot be run and are intended to be downloaded and opened in Alteryx Designer." I didn't see any documentation about how macro couldn't be run on the gallery. Does anyone know why is this happening?

6 REPLIES 6
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Why is your workflow saved as a macro?  Does it accept input from another source?

There are two ways to "run" a macro in the Gallery.

If your macro is independent of other inputs (no macro input or macro output) you can simply save it as an analytic app and it will work.

If your macro is dependent on other inputs or used in a workflow (has macro input and macro output), you will want to put the macro in a workflow that can pass it the required information or consume the output of the macro, and save that workflow to the Gallery.

betty_liao
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Claje,

my workflow connects from a database and generates an csv file with timestamp at the end of the filename. Then I use the macro I created to read in this csv file (since the file name is dynamic) and upload it to S3. I've attached the screenshot of my workflow and macro. 

Thanks!Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Claje
14 - Magnetar

What happens when you try to save the workflow itself into the Alteryx Gallery?

betty_liao
6 - Meteoroid

Apparently it's saved it as macro. Not sure how to save it as a workflow?

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Ah.  For that you want to go to Workflow - configuration - Workflow and change the Type of the workflow to Analytic App (if there are questions you ask the user) or Standard workflow.

claje_workflowsettings.PNG

kaleyn
5 - Atom

I need some help really kind of urgent.. how I can implement this suggestion "If your macro is dependent on other inputs or used in a workflow (has macro input and macro output), you will want to put the macro in a workflow that can pass it the required information or consume the output of the macro, and save that workflow to the Gallery."

Labels