community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Unable to rename field name nor increase field name length.

Asteroid

My input is a csv file. There are certain field names within the csv file which are more than 254 characters in length, they also have trailing spaces and line breaks. I'm using Input data tool to read the csv file. I tried to change the field length in the Input Data config to 1073871243 - looks like it affects only the field length not the fieldName length. Below is an example of a field name. 

"Installation Type

Please use the following definitions for this question:

If installed on your local computer, select 'Locally' (e.g., Microsoft Office)
If hosted at the app, select 'Server-based' (e.g., Epic, Kronos)
If accessed thr
V_WString1073741823Installation Type

Notice the truncation above.

I also tried renaming the column in select as shown below, but no luck :(. I also tried using the dynamic rename tool.

Capture.PNG

Alteryx Certified Partner

Check first row contains data. Then rename and use dynamic rename to put into the header.

Asteroid

Agreed with the excellent suggestion of @ryan_lambert

Attached is a workflow with the input tool configured to not read the first row as field names, and to increase the maximum field length to 10,000. 

From there a dynamic rename will provide the required header in full.

Snag_1f104bd7.png

Asteroid

Hi Tried your solution, But still having the same issue. If I copy 'Selected cells with Headers' in the result I still get the same, its not renamed to 'Installation Type'

Installation Type

Please use the following definitions for this question:

If installed on your local computer, select 'Locally' (e.g., Microsoft Office)
If hosted at application, select 'Server-based' (e.g., Epic, Kronos)
If accessed thr
Retired

Asteroid

Hi @monish_chandra 

If your aim is to rename the header to "Installation Type" then the attached workflow should accomplish that. By reading the input file all as data, using regex to delete everything after the embedded new lines in header fields, and then dynamically renaming the columns via the first line you can cleanse any other columns with this issue.

Snag_24862091.png

Labels