Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Unable to read all the files inside the folder.

RichardAlt
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to run/read all the excel files inside the folder using Batch Macro.

In my folder I have 4 files. When I run the batch macro only 2 files are read.

But when I removed the 2 files that are working and left the 2 files not working when I run again the workflow and it will read the 2 left files.

The first 2 files have a 190+ rows.

And the second 2 files have 490+ rows.

I don't know if this is the cause why batch macro is not reading all the files.

If this the cause is there any way to fix this? Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @RichardAlt,

The easiest way to merge all the files will be using this macro:

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Read_All_Excel_Files/58dd51b3a18e9e18fca64172

I know I didn't answer your question but I have one suggestion maybe you are reading 2 files in one format and 2 in a different format and your macro can read only one format of the data at once? 

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@RichardAlt,

Could you share you're macro with a sample data it will help us to investigate.

as @Emil_Kos said may be the file format is not the same, or schema is different between files, Have you select this option in the macro:

messi007_0-1614584972854.png

Attached a workflow with a macro that will work for you as well,

Hope this helps!

Regards

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @RichardAlt 

The best way to debug this is to:

- Do a debug output of the data-stream just before it goes into the batch macro (i.e. just output to a file like "debug1.yxdb") - this will tell you if the batch macro is even receiving the 4 files or only 2

- Within your batch macro - do a debug output that saves the control parameter - again, that will help to debug this

- Turn on macro messages in your macro in-case there's a warning or a macro message that is being suppressed.

Labels