Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unable to parse parenthesis using RegEx

Hi,

My data set contains data that falls broadly into 3 categories:

1) Data with an AAAA number - e.g. ABC21864 - 123 - XYZ - AAAA-5VF4Z0 - ABCDEF - FFF+ZZZ - TTFN + FDA

2) Data with parenthesis - e.g. abcd\ABC123456 - XYZ - 1234-12-1 ABC DEF (abcdef)

3) Data without either of the above - e.g. ABC1904 - 4MGB - BSOD - ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP - ABCDEFGH Carrara - TTFN + FDA

I am trying to parse these using the RegEx tool as below:

1) Parse up to the end of AAAA number

2) Parse up to and excluding the opening parenthesis

3) Parse the first 42 characters from left

I am using the RegEx expression:

(ABC.*?AAAA-\w+|ABC.+?\(|ABC.{42})

When used, the middle expression parses data up to and including the first parenthesis and doesn't drop the parenthesis.

Please advise how to parse up to (but exclude) the first parenthesis.

Thank you

RegEx Parse Query.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Uthpala_Koralegedara 

Use (ABC.*?AAAA-\w+|[^\(]*|ABC.{42}).  [^\(]* matches every character that's not a "(" so it stops when it gets to the first one

danilang_0-1586948870887.png

Dan

Thanks so much, worked like a charm. I slightly modified this so the data parse starts with ABC and drops anything prior to that - ABC.[^\(]*

Hi Dan,

Am wondering whether you can help with the below issue.

I am trying to parse three sections of a string into separate columns (screen snip I). When the expression is used within a single line, the data doesn't parse and return null values (screen snip II).

Are you able to assist.

Screen snip I

RegEx Parse I.JPG

Screen snip II -

(ABC\d+)(\<XYZ|xy*)(AAAA-\w+|AYAA-\w+)

RegEx Parse II.JPG

Thank you

Uthpala 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Uthpala_Koralegedara 

Your combined expression doesn't match the groups in your input string because it doesn't take into account the extra characters between them.   It would match "ABC2260xyzAAAA-5LNI5G - TEST OUTPUT 12345 (12)". Try something like this.  

(ABC\d+).*?(\<XYZ|xy*).*?(AAAA-\w+|AYAA-\w+)

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for this. 

It works perfectly if all three instances are given in the text string.

However, if not all three instances are present in the string, then the columns appear null.

Is there a way to fix this.

Uthpala 

RegEx Parse III.JPG

Labels