Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unable to connect to MySQL from Alteryx

tanvir_khan
8 - Asteroid

Hi:

I've installed Simba driver in my laptop and it appears under MySQL data source. When I provide user name and password it provides following error:

Error SQLDriverConnect: [Simba][MySQL] (1004) The connection has timed out while connecting to server: localhost at port: 3306.

Can anyone help me out please.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@tanvir_khan 

Judging by the error it looks like you haven't configured the database connection as it points to localhost which is your local machine. I don't suppose you're hosting the database on your laptop?

Try searching for your ODBC admin and make sure you configure the connection to your MySQL database using the IP address or the hostname of the Database server.

MichalM_0-1606994726253.png

tanvir_khan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichalM

You're correct. Now I've configured and test the connection and it show successful. 

System DSN > Add > Select Simba driver > Finish > Configured (Data Source Name, Desc, Host, Port, User and Password) and tested > Connection successful

But finally when I click Ok, it doesn't add the newly configured driver in the System DSN list.

Can you please tell me what went wrong?

Thanks! 

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@tanvir_khan 

Do you have Admin access on your machine? If not, you won't be able to create a System DSN entry. You can still create a User DSN though.

tanvir_khan
8 - Asteroid

@MichalM

I don't have the admin privilege and never had this privilege. I think I've configured some drivers before for other DBs. Not sure how I did it during that time. No problem, I'll ask the team to allow privilege and configure accordingly. 

Thanks a lot, man! 

Labels