Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unable to access data from multiple files

gagandeep_dhall
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year to everyone!

I am reaching out to you for an issue I am encountering during fetching info from multiple Excel files.

This is what I am trying to achieve: Fetching information from a particular tab from Multiple Files placed in one folder

Issue: There are 5 Tabs, but for some of the tabs the information is not being fetched. This is how my current output looks:

TabDate 1 Date 2Date 3
Tab 1InfoNo InfoInfo
Tab 2No InfoNo InfoInfo

I have tried the following options and getting the following errors:

1. Dynamic Input: Does not match  sheet or named range

2. Batch: while using batch, its taking top row from each table in the tab and puts it in my final result, thus throwing off the output completely 

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @gagandeep_dhall ,

Would you be able to share a couple files and a sample data for me to check it out?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

gagandeep_dhall
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Unfortunately, its proprietary data and I dont know how to recreate the error it is giving through a dummy file 😞

Regards,

Gagandeep

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @gagandeep_dhall ,

One thing that could be happening is related to the data type of each file. Sometimes when you have a date column with only null values, Alteryx reads as string and it will disregard that tab since the structure of data types is not the same as the template.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

gagandeep_dhall
8 - Asteroid

Hi @fmvizcaino ,

Can I make sure all the files are converted into the same data type before I fetch the data?

Just another thing, if this was the case, how was Alteryx able to read the files through Batch method?

Regards,

Gagandeep

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @gagandeep_dhall ,

There is a workaround, I'm attaching an example here.

Related to your second question, the output of a batch macro works as a union tool and it disregards the data type, only considering the header.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Labels