Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

US Zip9 Coder not reading data

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Hi,

Has anyone had issues with the US Zip9 coder?  So, I have a data set with 5 digit zip codes in which the zip9 coder will not read the zip (csv or excel).  I have to join it with the allocate report tool and use that zip but it is the same zip code.  Why would the coder recognize the allocate report zip and not my own zip when they're the same?

6 REPLIES 6
jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

I meant I join it to the allocate input tool, not report.

TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jbh1128d1 - can you share your workflow so that we can investigate this?

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Hi @TravisR.  WF attached. Thank you for responding.

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

and data

TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jbh1128d1 - so the issue is that the ZIP9 Coder requires a ZIP+4. Looking at the source data you provided - there's only the 5 digit ZIP code, but not the additional 4 digit code required for the ZIP9 Coder. 

If you have addresses then you can use the CASS tool to generate the ZIP+4 code and then use the ZIP9 Coder.

For example - I grabbed a random address in the 36003 zipcode - then passed it through CASS and got the 4 digit code of 2906 under the CASS_Plus4 field in the attached workflow. I could then use the CASS_ZIP and CASS_Plus4 fields to use the ZIP9 Coder.

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Thanks @TravisR

Labels