Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

URL download question

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I have the following URL that I have pulled directly from an email in Outlook using a separate connection through MS Access. I am trying to populate it in the Download Tool and it is coming back with no data. 

http://www.test.com/CW2/Reporting/Transfer/StreamByEmail?reportId=gcT%2fIYD4wLjWSHaGNYd9Yw%3d%3d

I have replaced the actual domain name with a fake one as this is a proprietary report.  

if I copy and paste the URL directly into the browser it process for a second then prompts to "download" a specific csv file. Is this not working because the URL isn't directly to text type input but rather is redirecting somehow to a file? 

Just curious if there are any options. 

Regards,

Adam

10 REPLIES 10
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey Adam,

I've attached an example which hits Google Finance for the historical stock prices for Alteryx (fairly topical right now :-)) and then writes it to c:\temp\prices.csv

Given that you want to download this file, and then import it later in some other place - I recommend wrapping this in a quick macro (you could use a batch macro if you want to download different files for different stock tickers, for example).

Have a look - hopefully this solves your problem - if not, feel free to reply with details and we can work through this as a community.

cheers

Sean

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I think the format or what that the Google finance page works is different (maybe based on the parameters)

When I enter the ULR directly in the browser it processes for about 3-5 seconds and then a download prompt appears with a full file name of the report csv file. 

I am not sure how I get the Download Tool to interpret this and wait for that prompt and pull that file... do I need to break off the "ReportID" parameter and run that separately? is it due to the encoding of the URL itself? 

I am obviously missing a key step. If necessary I can create a new report with non-sensitive data and send that link to test out... 

Regards,

Adam

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Adam - it would be good if you could put up an anonymous report, as it could be specific behaviour of your/that website that we need to take into account.

We can then try to get it working with that example and share the workflow.

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

Here is a download link that goes to a sample report (with only first names and two other fields)

http://www.compliancewire.com/CW2/Reporting/Transfer/StreamByEmail?reportId=wNzfOGMkv9jMh7xkDz9ZTA%3...

Let me know what step I am missing to get this to download. 

Regards,

Adam

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Give this one a try - I turned off "Encrypt URL" and it now works on my machine using the URL you provided, and downloads to a file called c:\temp\data.csv.

I only looked at the encryption because without this I was getting a web-file with an error-message something to the effect of "Invalid Characters"

Give it a try in the attached, and hopefully this solves your problem

Sean

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

After reviewing your example I realized my actual issue. I was loading two different URLs into the download tool at once and I think that was confusing it... once I separated out each line (there were only two) and ran them separately it worked fine!

Thanks!

Adam

yashwanth522
7 - Meteor

Hey Adam

While I'm trying to open your workflow it says "This document was created by the more recent version of this application and cannot be read".

Please help. I'm currently using Alteryx 10.6 and my organization is not ready to upgrade yet. 

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

The sample workflow was from Sean - not me. I am on 11.7 so I don't think I can help.

Adam

yashwanth522
7 - Meteor

Hey Adam

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Can you please share screenshot after opening the workflow? I'll try to interpret the tools they used in it.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Yashwanth

Labels