Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

UNIQUE IDENTIFIER AND MERGING OF COLUMN DATA

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I am stuck on a current use case and am unsure on the best way to approach this.

I have a large data set that contains unique identifiers. From this I am determining some separate output files however I need to try and combine the data as best as possible at the very beginning. 

Currently I join column 1 with column 2 to get column 3. This works for the most part but when there are two unique identifiers that match and that have the same "type" in column 1 I need to combine them together. For below the desired output would be in green:

EXAMPLE:

UNIQUE IDENTIFIERCOLUMN 1COLUMN 2COLUMN 3
1234PM12PM 12
1234PM12PM 12
1234  PM 6

Column 2 is always a 12 month data type.

However column 2 will not always be 12 - there could be a scenario where column 2 contains "6" (6 months) and "12" (12 months) and the desired output would be "4" to stand for 4 months as the event "PM" happens 3 times throughout the year. 

UNIQUE IDENTIFIERCOLUMN 1COLUMN 2COLUMN 3DESIRED OUTCOME
1234PM12PM 12 
1234PM12PM 12PM 6
1234CAL6CAL 6CAL 6

Any suggestions on how the best way is to do this would be greatly appreciated!! 

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Lauren_Holmes 
Honestly, I am a bit confused.

Can you just give a simple input and an output so we can figure out how?

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello - 

EXAMPLE 

INPUT

1234PM12
1234PM12
1234CAL12

OUTPUT

1234PM 6
1234CAL 12

As 1234 are the same on each line and PM is shown twice these need to be combined. I did have an idea of concatenating so the output would be:

1234PM,PM
1234CAL

and from here I can use a text input to say if concatenated column = PM, PM then output is PM 6? I know how to concatenate all eg. group by unique identifier and concatenate the Column 1 however issue with this is I don't want to concatenate all - PM,PM,CAL i only want to concatenate those that have identical events in column 1.  

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Lauren_Holmes 
This is based on my interpretion. 😁

0521-Lauren_Holmes.PNG

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lauren_Holmes 

@Lauren_Holmes wrote:

and from here I can use a text input to say if concatenated column = PM, PM then output is PM 6? I know how to concatenate all eg. group by unique identifier and concatenate the Column 1 however issue with this is I don't want to concatenate all - PM,PM,CAL i only want to concatenate those that have identical events in column 1.  

Based on what i could understand you want to concat identical events. So what you need to do is groupby identical events & conact identical events

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1621597348710.png

If you refer my workflow i am doing groubpy ID, Identical event, concat of Identical event, count of Identical event & group by value.

In the formula tool i am diving values/count and getting 6.

Hope this helps 🙂

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

This is great, thanks so much 🙂

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Exactly what i am after, thank you so much 🙂

Labels