Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

UNION TOOL .my union is always doing union all .

dikshit_luthra
7 - Meteor

Just want to clarify , suppose I have 2 inputs with same file and only 1 row with same columns.. and doing union is giving 2 identical rows but supposed to give only 1 . Why is it so ?

8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

union adds records. If you have one row in one source and one row in another source - you will have two rows. You may want a join tool.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @dikshit_luthra 

By default union tool will always show all columns. If you set config like below it will only show common columns between dataset.

atcodedog05_0-1643866839337.png

Hope this helps : )

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid

The Alteryx Union widget is a SQL Union All. In the database SQL language the Union returns only unique records.To accomplish this the Query Engine will remove duplicates after the two sources are blended. You can do the same. Union then Unique.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@SoccerTil's point is excellent - I'd add that Unique takes the FIRST unique value. If you want a different one - you can change order (in the union tool) of which datasource is first.

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid

That is true. Also a great feature of Alteryx that you can exploit in many different scenerios. 

dikshit_luthra
7 - Meteor

Yes, I guess it does union all. After union , doing unique worked.

dikshit_luthra
7 - Meteor

Yes, I too changed config to same, but it is union all and not union. So Unique has to be done. 

dikshit_luthra
7 - Meteor

CAN ANYONE HERE, HELP IN SERVER UPGRADE , LIKE do-to list before and after upgrade. 

?///??

I have read alteryx documentation but If someone already did, will be helpful .

Labels