Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

UFO sighting: Trade Area

Virender
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am practicing for Alteryx advanced certification. I am referring the preparation guide. Where I am not able to understand the solution of practical question.

Prepration Guide: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/ayx.policies/Advanced+Certification+Exam+Prep+Guide.pdf

Question: You are investigating recent UFO activity in Colorado. Given the
provided dataset on UFO sightings in Colorado, determine the number
of reported sightings that happened within 5 miles and 10 minutes of
another sighting. (Hint: Count each sighting individually. If two
sightings are within the required distance and time of one another, both
sightings count towards the total). 

Please help me to understand the solution.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Is the UFO problem still an active question in the Advanced exam?

If not, were you looking for the solution workflow?

Virender
7 - Meteor

I am not sure if the question is still active in Advanced Exam. I was checking the preparation guide. The question and solution is already there but i am not able to build the same workflow mentioned in the solution.

Virender
7 - Meteor

Here is the workflow, I build to solve the question. I followed the steps mentioned in the solution. Please check where I did the mistake.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I've attached my approach below. The data and question changed since I did the exam, so I'm not sure what the correct answer is.

DavidP_0-1590747800058.png

EricR

Hi @Virender ,

I reviewed your workflow and you were close.  There were two small issues.

1)  You need to make sure you aren't matching each sighting to itself.  This can be done in one of your Filter tools after Append Fields with the expession [RecordID]!=[Source_RecordID].

2)  The last tool is a Unique tool to make sure you aren't counting the same sighting more than once on your list.

For future reference, questions on prep materials are not actively included on the exams.  If you think an exam question has been posted on Community, please notify a Community admin or the Certification team at certification@alteryx.com

Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck on the Advanced exam!

All the best,

Eric

Alteryx Certification Team

Virender
7 - Meteor

Hi @EricR ,

Thanks for the reviewing the workflow. I corrected the issues highlighted by you.

I am getting the correct answer now.

If I found any certifications exam questions on community, I'll notify the certification team.

Thanks for the solution. I am attaching the correct solution here.

Virender
7 - Meteor

Hi @DavidP ,

Thanks for sharing the solution, I did noticed that time and area got swapped in your solution. I just corrected that and added unique in last to remove the duplicate records.

Thank you for the solution,Now I am able to solve the question in two different ways.

Cheers,

Virender

SidUK
8 - Asteroid

Here's another answer which seems a bit efficient 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer/Advanced-Certification-Spatial-Question/td-p/53725...

e.g. Spatial process tool - "Don't output empty objects" ...this is ticked..one less tool to use in your answer.

Sid

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I wanted to share one note that got me on this example which is so easy to make. I kept getting different number of records at the end (less actually) and I so I compared the one I built to @Virender 's example below and only one tiny thing ...

IN my date_time conversion of each date time I had custom and this "yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss" versus this "yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ss"

Once I corrected that it worked! 😉 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels