Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Txt format Import to Alteryx

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi Community,

May I know how to import txt. file into the alteryx and how to build the workflow so that alteryx will read the information inside the file. 

Kindly refer to the txt file below and i would like to import multiple txt file inside the Alteryx. May i know what the better way to import and how to build the workflow so that the information are captured correctly.

Jacob_94_1-1615097642498.png

15 REPLIES 15
SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @Emil_Kos ,

Apologies that i oversee this one, i thought it will no make any difference. 

Thank again for your help.

May i know what should i do in order to make the alteryx can read the data from this txt file below? It seems like the best choice is make it into each column as I want to make extract the information from each column.

Do you have any workflow that i can refer to on how to make it become readable column ?

Jacob_94_0-1615371151652.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94,

Sorry, I don't have any workflow. 

You can also change the delimiter to \t and check what happens 😛

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @SH_94 

Normally CSV is Character (or comma) separated values.

What you're trying to do here is import data that is in a flat file - there are two options:

- use CSV type, but set the delimiter to \0.   This tells Alteryx that there is no character being used to separate columns, just use the end of line as the stopping point, and bring it all into one row

- use flat Ascii as a type.

Looking at your file - you may also want to set the value of the "start import on row XX" so that you avoid bringing in all the header information.

If your file is always in the same format - it may be worth setting up a file specification for the file using ASCII flat - more info is here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/flat-ascii-files#:~:text=The%20flat%20file%20type%20(.,dat...

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @SeanAdams ,

Based on the options available, i feel like the first option is more suitable in this case as my file the format sometimes will be vary with one another.

May i know how should i spilt the words/ number into column in this case if i choose the first option?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

absolutely - if you know that the data starts on column 10 and ends on column 20, then you just use a formula tool to split this up using the SubString function

(substring([myField],10,20)

there's also quite a lot of training under the Academy on data parsing, and many of the weekly challenges focus on data parsing (like this one https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-2-Preparing-Delimited-Data/td-p/36622) so you can see how other people solved this and get some solution ideas.

I can't recommend the weekly challenges enough - they are one of the best ways to learn Alteryx.

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

Great thread!

Labels