Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Txt format Import to Alteryx

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi Community,

May I know how to import txt. file into the alteryx and how to build the workflow so that alteryx will read the information inside the file. 

Kindly refer to the txt file below and i would like to import multiple txt file inside the Alteryx. May i know what the better way to import and how to build the workflow so that the information are captured correctly.

Jacob_94_1-1615097642498.png

15 REPLIES 15
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94,

this article will show you How to input txt files

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Input-txt-Files-and-Other-File-Type...

Reagrding importing multiple files into alteryx I am assuming they are in the Same folder. If that is the case the easiest way to do it is using wildcard. Please check the article below for few words of guidance:

https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/jonathan-sherman/alteryx-importing-multiple-files-at-once/

both of them should be really easy to implement😅

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @Emil_Kos ,

Is it applicable to txt format as well? As the example given are only xlsx. Do you have any example of workflow that importing the txt file and editing the text file in alteryx?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94,

This is an example in which I have imported a text file:

this is the configuration that I have used:

Emil_Kos_0-1615364686021.png

The output:

Emil_Kos_1-1615364711481.png

This is only for tests but the guide that I found advises to import the data without delimiters and clean the data with the text to columns function afterwards.

In your particular example, I think it will take you a while to clean the data in a way that will be useful. 

Maybe you can use start importing a function from the input file to minimize the amount of unnecessary data. 

What I would do is I would focus on importing one file properly and after it will work I would come back to the idea of importing all the files at once. 

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @Emil_Kos ,

Thanks a lot for the advise. May i know what should i choose for the following options to import the txt file?

Jacob_94_1-1615366728941.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94,

Change read option to csv file. 

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @Emil_Kos 

It appear the error as shown in the screenshot below. Do you have any idea how to solve it?

Jacob_94_0-1615369986392.png

Thank you.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94,

Can you check if you have the same delimiter as in the screen below?

Emil_Kos_0-1615370073229.png

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @Emil_Kos 

Yes. It is same as per your screenshot. However, i think the error due to i have extra line after 34. Is that possible?

Jacob_94_1-1615370290224.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94,

Please change delimiter to \0

Labels