Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Two part problem - rows to string and substitute string in query

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Using Alteryx, I'd like to take a column from a query transform it into a list and then use that list as part of a second query.

As an example, col1 has rows 1,2,3  I can transform it into a list 1,2,3 using the summarize but I need it to be '1','2','3'.  I believe I can use a regex to add the apostrophes to the string (I thought I could configure the summarize tool but maybe not).

Next can I take the above string '1','2','3' and replace it in part of a query such as   'select * from table where f1 in (<replacetext>);'  where the above string can be substituted for <replacetext>.  I think I'm close by using dynamic input but having some struggles so thought I might reach out to the experts.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 REPLY 1
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

In the summarise tool when doing the concatenate you can specify that the string should start with a ' and use ',' to join and finish with another ':

2019-01-02_20-26-23.jpg

If you wish to do by REGEX then: 

2019-01-02_20-27-07.jpg

Expression:

\b(\d+)\b

Replacement:

'$1'

should work.

In terms of the dynamic input, I would suggest a query like:

select * from table where f1 in ('XXX')

and then as you describe replace a specific string (the 'XXX' part):

2019-01-02_20-38-57.jpg

One thing to check from what you show is that the f1 field is a string field as if not then you need no single quotes. Also if is string field make sure no entries in list with a single quote as that will break it.

Sample of first part is attached

Labels