Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Two inputs in a macro

damiana_spadafora
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone! I have created a data checks workflow that I would like to turn into a macro. The first step of this macro is to take two different files and join them, then check the output in the left, inner and right join and display a message in the log window according to what it has found. 

I am not entirely sure how to proceed, do I simply use two macro input tools or is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you,

Damiana

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Damiana,

When alteryx joins complete, there is a message in the log window like this:  Info: Join (3): 9343 records were joined with 0 un-joined left records and 83 un-joined right records

You can change the name within the config window (annotate) to:  

Info: Join (CHECK FOR UNJOINED RECORDS): 9343 records were joined with 0 un-joined left records and 83 un-joined right records

When I'm looking for UNJOINED records, I use a TEST tool and look for 0 count of records.  This produces a RED message if it fails:

Error: Test (5): The test "unjoined right records" failed: ExpectedNumRecords==0, NumRecords(#1)==83

I'd recommend something like this for your message.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
damiana_spadafora
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Mark,

Thank you for making time to answer me. The issue I have is more concerned with the join itself and how I can allow the user to choose which fields to join upon. If I use two macro input tools and link them to a join tool, how do I account for the fact that the user might have different files that join on different column names?

Thank you,

Damiana

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

aye, there's the rub!

The simple answer is for a single join key.  You would connect the macro input to a drop down interface tool and then update the value.  I've not updated a join tool this way before however.  When you have multiple keys, the answer requires more work.

Here is an example macro that allows a user to select the groupby field from a macro input.  It is a modified record ID macro that allows you to assign text/numeric values within a grouping key:

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Record-ID-for-Groups/555c9efd398a71086464c43c

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Labels