Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Two amounts of data: run with each other

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hi!

I want to create a macro. As Macro Inputs I have two amounts of data.

A simple examlpe:

the first quantity:

column A;column B

1;5

2;6

3;7

4;8

5;9

the second quantity:

column C;column D

6;7

7;8

Now I will run with each other

and I will create in the macro value pairs and  handing over the pairs to the  Macro Output Tool: (as below)

column A;column B;column C; column D

1;5;6;7

2;6;6;7

3;7;6;7

4;8;6;7

5;9;6;7

1;5;7;8

2;6;7;8

3;7;7;8

4;8;7;8

5;9;7;8

It is possible in Alteryx? How?

Thanks

Mathias

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mathias_schnoor,

if if you use the APPEND FIELDS tool, you'll get your desired results. Try it and see how it appends the data to every row. If you have more than 32,000 rows in your second file I will have to suggest an alternative. 

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hi Mark,

as is often the case, the solution to the mystery is simpler than one might think.

Thanks a lot.

What happens when If I have more than 32,000 rows in your second file?

Best regards

Mathias

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

There is a limit to the number of records. I think that it will error. You would then need to put a constant value into each set of data and join using that constant 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Actually there is a dropdown at the bottom of the configuration of the Append Fields tool (that I have seen a few people miss) where it will "Allow All Appends" and won't error out.

That said, if you are trying to cross-join (which is essentially what an Append Fields tool does) 32,000 records with another 32,000 records, you'd end up with over a billion records...which may not be the intent of the join (which is why it is set by default to error if more than 16 records are in the "source" side of the join.  Smiley Wink

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Thank you for your supports.

Of course you are right, over a billion records can not be the intent of a cross join!

Mathias

Labels