Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Two Input documents - Cannot make second document attach to process flow

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I'm attempting to use two input files in a single Alteryx workflow. One input document is the data input. The second document contains the names and email addresses. 

I want to use a separate input document that contains email addresses to send out emails to make the email contacts easier to maintain when changes occur without having to keep editing the workflow.

But I cannot seem to successfully 'introduce' the second input document. Is this something I can do in Alteryx? 

Thanks in advance, 

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Archaeopteryx you could use an append tool to join on the stream from the filter and from your select tool.

MichaelSu
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Archaeopteryx ,

Have you tried joining the second input file beforehand with the top data stream and then connecting to the Report Text Tool? The Report Text tool only accepts one input stream. From there you should be able to insert your available fields within the report text tool.

Thanks,

Mike

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

The two documents do not match in the way of columns and rows. The second document has only two columns Contact Name and Contact Email. The first input file has all the data that is being processed. 

My endeavor here is just to make the maintenance of emails easier. 

MichaelSu
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It's tough to troubleshoot without having the workflow itself, however, another option would be to connect the report text to your contact name and email, you can then include the other data that is being processed as an attachment within your email . 

OR, use a Join Multiple tool to combine multiple reporting tools (Report Text) and use the Layout tool.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Archaeopteryx you want to do something like this in your workflow using the append field tool. The sample tool is very important as this stops your email recipient receiving an email per every row of data in your output. Mocked up a workflow and attached to this post. 

Two_Input.JPG

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Thank you, JS420

The proper use of the Append Fields tool and subsequent clean up is very good intel and it worked for me perfectly.

Thanks again,

Chris

Labels