Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Turning a grid of points into polygons

robertcox
6 - Meteoroid

I am working with a file that contains points representing a 5X5 km grid and I am stumped on converting the points to polygons.  I know I've done in the past, I'm just drawing a blank on what I did.  The image below is what the file currently looks like.  Any help is appreciated!

robertcox_0-1615409580476.png

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@robertcox

If you're trying to take all of your points and turn them into 1 polygon, the convex hull option in the poly-build tool should hopefully work!

If you're trying to take each point and put a circle around it with a specified diameter, the trade area tool should do the trick!

robertcox
6 - Meteoroid

Appreciate the advice.  Do you know of a way to make a square around each polygon?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@robertcox Sure, I think you can use a trade area tool to create a circle and then the spatial info to get the bounding rectangle a as a polygon, which should be a square in this case. See attached for a random point, you should be able to do it for all of your points.

patrick_digan_0-1615475170476.png

robertcox
6 - Meteoroid

That should work!  Thanks!

Labels