community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Trying to use fuzzy match

Meteor

Trying to use fuzzy match to solve my issue. So i have two excel spreadsheets, I used the join function so that they now look like the below.. What I want to do is say the 3 columns there are 

Internal ID      Name                Customer    

1                    Interco                  

2                    102 Ltd 

3                    TomsPickup

4                    Georges

Mikes                                               

Interco Ltd

Toms Pickups

Georges Ltd

So I want to match and combine if the the name somewhat matches with the customer to add the internal id to it so the outcome to be like the below, not sure if im using the right tool or not. 

Internal ID      Name                Customer    

1                    Interco               Interco Ltd

2                    102 Ltd 

3                    TomsPickup      Toms Pickups

4                    Georges            Georges Ltd

Mikes                                               

Highlighted
Bolide

Hi @JamesG2806,

Fuzzy Matching is a whole industry on itself, but to get you started please have a look at this setup.

The 2 inputs should be aligned is key, value pairs - key indicating your source (2 sources in your example referred as 1 and 2) and value representing the value to be compared.

You then need to assign a record id to allow the Fuzzy Match tool point what pairs of values match.

Again the tool itself have 1M configuration options and you would need to match it to your individual case and play with different parameters.

img1.JPG

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

Pulsar

Hi @JamesG2806 

As @rafalolbert wrote, fuzzy matching is practically its own industry. I always open up the help pages within Alteryx wile using the tool (right-click the fuzzy match tool and choose Open Example)

Your dataset may lend itself to a formula match instead of a fuzzy match, as it looks like Name can be found within Customer.

So the way I'd approach this is to Append all customers to each name (making sure to allow all appends), and then seeing if a cleaned up version of Customer is contained within Name.
image.png
Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Esther

Labels