Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trying to stack multiple CSV files with different schemas using Dynamic Input but failing?

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I know dynamically inputting numerous .CSV files with different schemas is possible, however I'm not sure why I'm unable to do it. I tried using a wildcard in my Input tool with a *.csv extension but that failed. That's when I realized I had some different schemas. I then tried a dynamic input tool and the Macro found here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Fi...

but I'm still unable to pull in my fields because I'm receiving the different number of fields warning. I've attached a few of the files I'm attempting to stack to this - any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This is a nice article that explains how to address your issue: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t... 

I normally like to take the batch macro approach. It only takes 3 tools and allows you to bypass the schema differences messages. 

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

Hi @BrandonB ,

The batch macro tool is what I've been trying to use with no luck, unfortunately. Only the files with the same schema are being read in. The others I'm receiving a warning stating that "...(file name) has a different number of fields than the 1st file in the set and will be skipped". Any advice?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You may be missing the step where you go to view->Interface designer and in the settings change the option to Auto Configure by Name

stacking.png

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

I'm not too sure what the "Output fields change based on macro's configuration or data input" does - but I had that checked for some reason and unchecked - did the trick! thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Labels