Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trying to make a column 0 based off of another column that is already 0.

KonaCantTalk
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I am new to Alteryx and am struggling with figuring this out. Essentially, I have two columns a [CustomerSpending] column and a [PurchaseMade] column. If one of these columns is 0 then they both should be 0. Unfortunately that is not always the case which is why I am trying to clean this up a little. How can I make each column 0?

I thought it would be something as simple as this: 

IF [CustomerSpending] > 0
then [PurchaseMade] = 0
ELSE [CustomerSpending]
ENDIF

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
lmorrell
11 - Bolide

Hi @KonaCantTalk 

Workflow is attached

Trying to make a column 0 based off of another column that is already 0.png

Your logic is spot on - however as each formula applies to a single column, we aren't able to overwrite multiple cell values with a single formula. However, by breaking these two formulas up - we can apply the rules to two temp columns with two formulas as below, deselect the originals, and then carry the temp columns forward for further processing. 

CustomerSpending_Temp

if [CustomerSpending] = 0 OR [PurchaseMade] = 0 then 0 
else [CustomerSpending]
endif

PurchaseMade_Temp

if [CustomerSpending] = 0 OR [PurchaseMade] = 0 then 0 
else [PurchaseMade]
endif

Hope this helps! 

KonaCantTalk
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @lmorrell

Wow, this community is incredible. Such a quick and accurate reply, thank you so much!

I didn't even think about creating new, temporary, columns. After your explanation that makes sense why we would do that. 

Thanks again and have a great evening. 

Labels