Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trying to get a table-format list of Tool ID's and annotations

Alt_eryx22
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all,

I'm preparing a walkthrough for auditors. It's best practice for us to annotate within each tool, what the tool is doing to the data. What I'd like to do is export a list of each tool ID and the Annotation text with that tool ID. When I save the .yxmd as a .txt file, I can see each tool ID, and the Annotation. E.g.:

Alt_eryx22_0-1629214624223.png

So two questions:

1) Is the "Tool ID" unique for each tool? Or is there a way to also link this with a tool type or to build some sort of hierarchy/flow of the workflow?

2) What's the best way to delimit the .txt file to isolate these two data points into a table?

related post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Parse-yxmd-as-xml-to-see-which-tools-a...

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Alt_eryx22 

There is a sample workflow in Alteryx which you can leverage. Maybe you can tweak it to get annotation.

atcodedog05_0-1629215329974.png

Oops its the same post 😅

Hope this helps : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Alt_eryx22 

Answer for the first question Tool ID is independent of tools. Tool ID is generated on incremental fashion on the order they are dragged to Canvas. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Alt_eryx22 

And here is the new and improved version of macro for your requirement 🙂

Workflow:

atcodedog05_1-1629217955706.png

Hope this helps : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

It took me a while 😅 but was definitely fun to build 🙂