Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trying to Expand RegEx Knowledge for Data Parsing

CTubbs
6 - Meteoroid

Fellow Alteryx-ers,

I've been venturing out in the RegEx world more lately because I've run into some instances in my new role where it could be SUPER helpful with data cleanse/prep. I have a list of attributes (size and quantity) that I am trying to split up, but the values aren't always consistent...enter RegEx.

I've attached a little module with sample data I am working with. I will be the first to admit that the current expression is likely way more complicated than it needs to be, I was just using the "or" functions as I did some trial/error. My goal is to capture everything to the left of the 1st letter(s) in 1 new field and the everything else in a 2nd new field.

Here is an example of my current results:

Capture.JPG

Most of them are good to go...but I am not sure why I get some 2 decimal numbers and not others, and I can't seem to figure out how to handle for the hyphenated values.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CTubbs ,

I'm attaching here an example showing how to get the values you need.

The only question is related to line 7, not sure if you want the 1 PK or 128 OZ

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@CTubbs my go-to regex expert @rahmed may be able to help here 😉

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

How about this?

([^[:alpha:]]+[[:alpha:]]+)(.*)

CTubbs
6 - Meteoroid

@fmvizcaino That works! Thanks for sharing that.

I see what you did with the "[...]" to capture the additional combinations. And as for that 1PK v 128 OZ piece, that is something I was going to error handle for prior to parsing so I will end up with the right data in the right fields. Thanks again.

CTubbs
6 - Meteoroid

@DavidP that also worked! I just tweaked it so the 2nd field didn't have spaces - ([^[:alpha:]]+[[:alpha:]]+)\s(.*)

Appreciate the feedback!

Labels