Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Truncating Error in Workflow

czjames87
8 - Asteroid

I am getting the below Truncating error every time i run my flow. i have changed the file size for all of my string types in that table to 255 or greater. However, it still is giving me an error. How do I fix this? Up until yesterday my flow worked with no issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Output Data (263) Executing PostSQL: "INSERT INTO TMLEX.LEX_SHIPMENT_TREND SELECT * FROM TMLEX.LEX_SHIPMENT where soft_delete = 0;" : [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]String or binary data would be truncated.[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]The statement has been terminated.

4 REPLIES 4
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @czjames87 ,

I came across a similar problem once and I could not get it to work no matter what. I even tried restricting the size of the string being input into the table field to be a single character and it still gave me the error.

I seem to remember the way I got around it was to post the data into a holding table then use a Post SQL Script to copy the data from that table into the table. It was something to do with an update that prevented an external source writing to the table, but you could create a table within the DB then transfer.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

M.

Bulien

j_acon
9 - Comet

Seems like the error is from the SQL server.

Check that the field length and data types in Lex_Shipment match with the destination table.

czjames87
8 - Asteroid

I ended up finding a single value that was causing the truncating error. I just used the below logic to trim it down and allow it to run without issue. Thank you for your help. 

Left([PO],255)

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @czjames87 

Glad you were able to solve it🙂

Mark your post as solution so that others will be able to know that the issue is resolved and how to resolve this issue.

Labels