Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Truncated error or console messages

sheikhazim
6 - Meteoroid

After running a workflow, the messages in my console are truncated. Is there a way of seeing the full message in the results console? For example, if there is an error, I can't see the entire error message.

6 REPLIES 6
Per
11 - Bolide

Hi @sheikhazim 

Is it because you are working on a low resolution monitor, where the Results window is narrow? In that case you can hover your cursor on the error message you should get a pop-up showing the entire message. Alternatively you can right-click and select Copy All to paste it into Notepad or similiar for reading. Sorry if this is too obvious! 

If the message is being truncated while the Results window is wide enough to contain more text, can you then attach a screenshot? I know that error messages returned from i.e. databases can get truncated occasionally

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That's a good tip, @Per 

If you'd like to have a complete output of the results window, you can configure a logging directory in your system settings. Once a folder path is configured, every time a workflow runs, a complete output of the results text will be saved in that folder. 

Options > Advanced Options > System Settings

20201124-LoggingDirectory.png

sheikhazim
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Per,

Thanks for your help with this.

I'm working on a high-resolution monitor so that shouldn't be the issue. Copy and pasting just pastes the truncated message which I've censored slightly to remove the table name: 

00:05:17.125 - ToolId 600: Executing PreSQL: "INSERT INTO "TEMP"WITH "Tool613_798f" AS (select * from xxx.xxxxxxxxxx), "Tool614True_cdd1" AS (SELECT * FROM "Tool..."

Yes, you're right, this is a database message.

sheikhazim
6 - Meteoroid

Hi CharlieS,

Thanks for your help with this.

I've tried this solution but the log file created only contains the truncated message which I've censored slightly to remove the table name: 

00:05:17.125 - ToolId 600: Executing PreSQL: "INSERT INTO "TEMP"WITH "Tool613_798f" AS (select * from xxx.xxxxxxxxxx), "Tool614True_cdd1" AS (SELECT * FROM "Tool..."

Per
11 - Bolide

Hi @sheikhazim 

Yes, sorry for suggesting such a basic thing, but sometimes it is something simple 🙂

I do not think the full database error message is available unfortunately. But it would be a good idea to post an idea in the Idea forum for this!

I think you will need to breakdown your preSQL and run it until you know what causes the error unfortunately, or run it in SQL Developer or similar if possible

sheikhazim
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Per,

No problem, thanks for your time.

I was afraid that would be the case. I will have a go at running it piece by piece in SQL Developer.

Labels