Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trim anything left after the latest dash character

adombayeva
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Could you please advise how to trim anything left after the latest dash " - " . There are several " - " in the string, so I am focused only whatever comes after the latest " - ". It will great if you could also explain the expression. 

Text:

2019 KWK Competitive scoping - Grand *Total - 09 Tut A'more

The desired output: 09 Tut A'more

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @adombayeva 

You can use the following

REGEX_Replace([Field1], ".*-(.*)", "$1")

.*- This matches any characters up to and including a dash.  Because Regex is greedy by default, any hyphens that appear before the last one are caught by the ".*", so the expression matches everything up to the last hyphen

(.*) The ".*" will match any number of characters.  Since it's surrounded by brackets, its seen as a capturing group.  Any characters that match this pattern are captured and can be used later.  Since this is the first group you use "$1" to refer to it.  This is used in the replace clause to replace the entire contents of Field1 with the characters that follow the last hyphen

Dan

adombayeva
7 - Meteor

Hi @danilang,

Thank you very much for support! The expression helped me to solve the issue and your explanation became an invaluable knowledge for me to practice further! 

Cheers 🙂

Anthony_A2
5 - Atom

Hi @danilang

How would you reverse this if you wanted to trim everything after the last hyphen?

I have an instance where I have a column of identifiers with variable amount of hyphens in each record. I always want to grab everything before the last hyphen. 

Thanks!

Labels