Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trim 1st 2 digits in data set?

kvoelker
7 - Meteor

I have a column of data where I need to remove the 1st 2 digits & keep the rest. The whole string contains both letters and numbers. For example, in my column I have 07M123456789 & 780001234RB, etc... and I need to return M123456789 & 0001234RB. 

I've tried trim, trimright, & trimleft but these are not working because the length of my data varies. Any suggestions or help would be greatly 

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
From my iPhone, please try:

Substring([field],2,)

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @kvoelker 

I bet you were so close when you were using those formulas. Here is what I would suggest:

right([Field1],Length([Field1])-2)

This says keep the right portion of your string with a length of your original string minus two characters.

Hope this helps! 

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

@Kenda I appreciate and respect your diligence in using the actual string length. I have a habit of over or under trimming by 1 so I end up doing lazy stuff like this more often than I'd care to admit:

Trim(SubString([Field1],2,999))

kvoelker
7 - Meteor

Hi @MarqueeCrew  & @Kenda ,

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Both worked equally well!

Labels