Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tree Interface Setup

ag22
5 - Atom

I'm following along with this example, but I'm having issues when trying to generate the a tree that has more than 9 initial "seeds."

For those unfamiliar, the data format that you need to specify for the tree interface tool looks something like the below. The issue happens when we hit 10 and above.

Capture.PNG

If we follow the same pattern, the resulting tree ends up looking like this, where every initial category seed above the 9th one is inserted into the first one.

Capture.PNG

Note that this is alpha sorted, which seems a bit strange since they are spelled out numbers (fake dataset I made up).

I attached how I got to this point here but would appreciate any help I can get. This format is unintuitive to me to begin with and I don't see any way to have more than 9 parent seeds in my trees.

3 REPLIES 3
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Try padding the number in the Level 1 Key with a "0" in front.

This will make a key that looks like this: 01, 011, 0111, 0112, 02, 021... 10, 101, 1011, etc. which should allow for your two-digit parent values.

Formula for Level 1 Key: PadLeft([Level 1],2,"0")

Hope that helps! Cheers,

NJ

MichalK
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Nicole, this is a clever solution and it helped me a lot.

I will just add that you should remember that the key is created for the whole list at each level, so the structure you're putting into tree tool is very large (I put the whole organizational structure of my company which has thousands of functions at 6 levels), it makes sense to increase the padding above 2 characters. I my case I have around 50K of entries, so I padded 5 characters to ensure I had no duplicated keys.

abell_dt
7 - Meteor

Is there a limit to the amount of selections in the tree? ex I have thousands of records to choose from

Labels