Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Traverse through each row to calculate change

amadra
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

The Challenge -> For each product, I'd like to flag if there was a change to the 'amount' over the months.

I could use a multi-row formula to see if the balance changed month over month for 12 months but sometimes I only have data for 4 months.

I have attached the input and desired output in this post.
Sample_data.JPG desired_output.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @amadra ,

What I would do is look if for each product you have more than one values appearing - you can do it with a summarize tool, group by product and count the distinct amounts that appear.

Then if that count is greater than 1, that means there was a change.

AngelosPachis_0-1653687957707.png

Hope that  helps,

Angelos

rfoster7
9 - Comet

You don't even need a multi row tool Just do a Summarize tool, group by Product and get Min(Amount) and Max(amount). then use a formula tool to make a status of "No Change" if the min = max and "Change" if it isn't. 

rfoster7_0-1653688301387.png

If you need something more complicated like, is the change positive, or how many changes or longest time between changes, then you need the multi row tool. 

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @amadra , the multi-row tool was my first instinct and I think you could use it to get your intended result. Instead though, I used a summarize tool to find the min and max for each product. If the min equals the max, then there was no change. I attached my version of the workflow.

phottovy_0-1653688257053.png

amadra
8 - Asteroid

Hi @AngelosPachis , @rfoster7 , @phottovy  - thank you for the quick turnaround. Didn't realize this could be solved in so many different ways 😊

Labels