Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transposing multiple columns

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

I am wondering if there is a more efficient way of doing this than the approach I'm takign

I have a workflow where values that I want to consolidate into a single column are spread across multiple - for example in the format Fruit (1), Fruit (2), Fruit (3) - I would want these to appear under one column labelled Fruit.

Is there a way to do this using a macro that looks for similar column names and transposes these one at at a time, or is the best solution simply to transpose one at a time?  The columns might change in future and it would be good to be able to have  workflow that doesn't have to be updated manually.

The extra complication is that for e.g. Fruit (1), Fruit (2) there is an extra variable, Fruit type (1), Fruit type (2) which needs to be associated with the Fruit column

I'm stuck!  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @chickenlicken I mocked up a workflow let me know what you think?

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @chickenlicken 

The attached should work. Transpose the data, use Cleanse tool to get rid of numbers and punctuation, add a ranker, and then crosstabs everything back grouping by ID and Rank. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1588363332791.png

Let me know if this works for you. 

Thanks!

Phil

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

Brilliant does just what I'm looking for, thank you

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

Could accept either of these as solutions!

Labels