Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transposing Data

PPNU
7 - Meteor

I have an excel template for various regions. I want to read it through Alteryx and store the data in database.

I'm new to Alteryx, so I feel difficulty how can a new columns would be created for region and last date updated from the data in template.

Secondly, I want data store in columnar structure , means category which is in row in excel would be in column against which data would be populated for the category to make it easy for filter data on category level.

Please find sample data attached here. 

Can somebody recommend something

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @PPNU 

That wasn't the most straightforward challenge, but here's a workflow that does what you want (I think):

OllieClarke_0-1629133515055.png

as well as Cross-Tabs and Transpose tools, I also needed a multi-row formula tool and some Joins (along with an append field). 

I'd recommend checking out the learning resources available on the community Learning PathsInteractive Lessons and Weekly Challenges as well as the documentation/example workflows of the tools in Designer itself. Between those resources you should be flying in no time. 

Hope that helps,

Ollie

PPNU
7 - Meteor

Hello @OllieClarke ,

This is working fine with one of the sheets. I have different excel sheets for different regions, saved under one folder.

I want them  to process them together. So I made some changes in input tool but its taking data from one sheet only not from all.

PPNU_0-1629188419424.png

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @PPNU 

Here's an article that goes through how to input multiple sheets: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Import-Multiple-Excel-Sheets... 

PPNU
7 - Meteor

Thanks @OllieClarke ,

One issue is for string values in cross tab we have only functions to select, Concatenate, First and Last.

When I'll process data for multiple regions, what could be the possible alternative to get all markets and date.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@PPNU since you're reshaping the data without aggregating it, that shouldn't be a problem. What you will need to do is input the file/sheet name with each sheet (option 5 in the data input tool) and then group by this field in all cross-tabs and have it as key field in all transposes. You should also add this as a join clause, and finally replace the append fields tool with a join tool that just joins on the file/sheet name. This should mean that each sheet's data stays separate. 

OllieClarke_0-1629191457447.png

I've attached an updated version of the workflow that uses the filename (although as it's just connecting to 1 sheet it's a bit unnecessary)

PPNU
7 - Meteor

Hello @OllieClarke ,

when we're filtering header, there is a filter to select record ID. 

So if we're choosing record ID=1 it filters data for one sheet only and hence therefore, not getting data for multiple sheets at the end.

PPNU_0-1629200290124.png

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Ah @PPNU , sorry forgot about that. 

Instead of using the Record tool, you'll have to create your own with a multi-row formula that is grouping by [filename]. This will restart the recordId for each sheet, so everything can then go on.

Screenshot and updated version below 🙂

OllieClarke_0-1629276748186.png

Labels