Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transpose tool issue with selecting key Columns

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

Hi,

I have prepared a workflow to clean data present in an excel file in different sheets. I am facing issue with transpose tool. I want to select 1st three columns as key columns in transpose tool (used in my workflow). However, I do not know why every time, I run this workflow or I used it for my 2nd sheet, chosen 3 columns in transpose tool gets de-selected and again, I have to choose it. 

I want to know the reason why it is happening with my workflow. And, how can I fix 1st three columns as key fields in transpose tool, so whenever I run it for present sheets in the workflow (sheet1 or sheet2), my 3 columns do not get transposed. 

Please help me with this!

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Unfortunately that will happen because you have a dynamic rename before the transpose. Alteryx does not maintain the metadata after the dynamic rename as it does not know what could be the field names unless it runs. One option would be having the transpose inside a macro, where you send the field names to be selected from outside the macro. I also have seen cases where if you insert the dynamic rename into a macro and enable the option Output field changes based on macro data input in the interface designer it might work. 

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

@gabrielvilella ,

Thank you for your response. 

Can you please give me one workflow as an example ? It will help me understand it better and I will be able to make changes in my workflow. 

Regards,

Rahul

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

@gabrielvilella ,

or, is there any other way for getting this outcome without using dynamic rename ? Because, I want to run this workflow for multiple sheets, so I will be adding control parameter ( one at input and second at output) then I will use it. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Rahul_Analyst use a select tool after the dynamic rename tool then connect to the Transpose tool, this will solve your issue. I think even though the dynamic rename changes value but passing the original value to the next tool, thats why the Transpose tool was not able to recognize the fields and deselecting each time

binuacs_0-1645771689711.png

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

@binuacs,

It is not giving me the correct output. I have put select tool before the transpose. I have chosen 1st three columns as a key columns but in output of transpose taking no field as a key columns and transposing each column. 

Screenshot (5).png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Rahul_Analyst,

Could you share your current workflow?

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

@Emil_Kos  Hi, 

Here you go!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Rahul_Analyst 

As i can see it uncheck the 3 columns from dynamic rename this way it retains the name like below.

atcodedog05_0-1645780941102.png

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1645780964412.png

Let me know does this work for you.

Hope this helps : )

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

I am not sure if I know that is the expected output but what I would recommend is to keep the odd naming convention of the columns keep it F1 F2 F3 etc and correct it after the transpose tool. 

Union tool at the end will allow you to correct the naming convention:

Emil_Kos_0-1645781319702.png

Labels